Sydneytango milongas
Welcome, Guest User  Click to Login 
Sydney DJ challenge

I wish to thank the D.Js of Sydney for the time and effort they go to to produce a playlist.

Those dancers who have spent time in Bs.As know that at traditional Milongas the D.Js play predominantly Golden Age, knowing that their knowledgeable critical audience will not get up and dance to less familia pieces.

At a Sydney milonga the D.J may only play one or two Golden Age the rest would never see the light of day at a traditional milonga in Bs.As

In Sydney we get up and dance to these tanders, for if we did not we could be sitting out all night, often going home feeling deprived of what could have been.

I would love to know from Sydney D.Js how they see their Sydney audience?

Re: Sydney DJ challenge
No dance form apart from tango with DJs requires a tanda. Have you heard of "live music". I musician would need a lobotomy to play 2 consecutive pieces in the same tempo and style, even in the Golden Age. Live bands then and now focus on variation not repetition. Promoting dead musicians is an insult to the thousands of tango musicians around the world extending the artform. Pushing Play on a CD would be preferable to any DJ in Sydney or elsewhere because also in CD production, variation is essential. DJs and tango dancers don't seem to understand fundamental principles of musicality. Live music first, Spotify or CDs second when the band has a break, DJs with their tandas from dead musicians can go home. DJs playing living musicians varying every piece in style, rhythm and tempo - mimicking a live performance - can stay.

Hi David, I can only speak for myself here, when I DJ I play 98% Golden age music with one tanda of modern versions of traditional music by musicians who are currently alive (generally towards to end of the evening). I am referring to Orchestras that are popular in the milongas of Buenos Aires such as Romantica Milonguera, Sexteto Milonguero, La Juan Darienzo, Los Herederos del Compas, etc.)

I also play music that is widely known, occasionally I might experiment with a more obscure tango, depending on the audience, but it's always Golden age music.

I like the fact that no matter where I am in the world I can enjoy listening and dancing to music that is predominantly from the late 30s, 40’s and early 50s, it's what brought me to dance in the first place - the music is always first for me whether I’m dancing or DJing.

While I understand Robert’s point of view, I prefer to follow the traditions of the majority of milongas with DJs, by playing music that is structured into tandas with clear cortinas, as it’s a language that all tango dancers understand regardless of where they are in the world.

Playing random selections from different orchestras or going from a tango, to a vals to a milonga as suggested by Robert, would (in my opinion) not be ideal. As soon as I hear the first song in a tanda I know if it’s a tanda I’d like to dance, so I can either accept or decline an invitation to dance based on this first song, which would be impossible to do if there was no order or structure. I believe that the majority of dancers in Sydney would prefer a DJ that follows the traditions.

Beatriz

-- 1/06/2021 11:41:58 AM: post edited by Tangomagic.

I totally agree with you Robert, live music is the best and should be encouraged at all levels, especially modern Tango musicians from around the world extending the artform.

I am always interested in the term "traditional" and in this case that of the majority of milongas with DJs. Because if you really wish to be truely traditional then you would be dancing to the style of the lower class people in Montevideo of Uruguay, where public dances were held in warehouses and people dance a "range - more than one" style of dance. Now days that would mean you would dance not only tango at a milgona but salsa and rock n roll. My first ever milgona I attended was in Darwin some time ago, where the organisers were from a range of dance school such as ballroom, salsa etc they had to join together to have enough people to attend to create the event. It certainly made an interesting night.

But let say your less traditional and you where dancing in the actual Goldern Age of Tango. You would be dancing to live music (of the time) and would encouraged it at all levels, especially modern Tango musicians around the world extending the artform. Yes, from around the world, because most of the actually records of the time where recorded in Europe as Argentina didn't have recording studioes at that time. The musicans were from South America but were heavy influenced by fact that Tango was being accepted into the upper Europian society. Today, you need to watch the influence of Russia of the modern Tango. You could look at who are the recent winners of the Mundial de Tango or where the current Masters of tango work. This is important to note, because the way we dance Tango today, is not how they danced it in the 1935 to 1952, it is very different. So we are not dancing traditional Tango but the current version of it. So why not listen to the current version of Tango music. Traditionally Tango dance and tango music was evolved together, both influencing each other to change. So why are we breaking this tradition?? This question is even more puzzling when you take into account that some modern orchestras play traditional music. So the quality of the music being digitally recorded could be a more realistic version of what the actual dancing of the goldern age heard when they danced to live music of that time, instead of the poor quality of the records of that time. It is also important to note that Evolutionists like Aníbal Troilo and Carlos di Sarli were opposed to traditionalists like Rodolfo Biagi and Juan d'Arienzo. So is the Goldern Age of Tango the non tradition version???

Or you could look at the 1970's Tango Nuevo, or the 1990's - 2000s electronic tango  or Neotango. For the majority of people who dance today these are traditional versions of tango or version in which they started in. Most people around the world where influenced by toruing stage dancers of the 1990's. And yes these styles are out of flavour at the moment but the question is why? It is simply a class war between the upper case and lower case. People perfer the style of jackets and ties compared to lose comfortable clothing. Which is the same tale of the evolution of tango from the 1900's to the goldern age, so the current playlist of Tango has very little to do with tradition.

This include the fab for current DJs to play songs that have people singing as part of a dancing tanda. At the time of the Goldern Age vocalists were rarely part of the orchestras and often people wouldn't dance these songs but listen instead. This is protrayed by the current and past stage Tango performances where you even listen to the singer with the music or watch the dancers dance to the music. You rarely if ever do you see both the singer and dancer at the same time. So why are Sydney DJs playing any song that has a vocalist, because it is a Fab and not tradition and in my opinion it is so wrong in so many ways.

I think the current Fab of DJs of constantly playing the same music from such a narrow period is hurting the level of dancing of Tango. It creates a rut where people do the same time to the same music because they know it, compared to being creative and invocative of dancing to music which is either new or complex. This is so far from the true tradition of tango that has always evolved, as the word tradition is a unchallengeable assertion of a fasle trump card.

Sydney DJs please play a bigger range of music. 

SydneyTango Advertise with Us
© 2021 Software Development Services
Viva Magazine sidebar
Opinion poll
Should milongas allow table reservations?

Newsletter
Register to the site for free, and subscribe to the weekly newsletter